Saturday, January 21, 2012

1/25/12 Meeting, Picnic Day & Troop Sales


How are Cookie Sales going?

I think it's safe to say we won't be getting into Brownie Quest :( and if we do it will be too late for us to do the necessary preparations to be trip-ready. As your loyal, if not, adaptable leader (ha, ha) I've gone ahead and adjusted the curriculum for the year to focus on Legacy Badges rather than the Journey (Legacy badges can be found in the Girl Guide to Girl Scouting). We may still complete a journey this year, it depends on how the girls do with the badges. We'll definitely complete one or two Journeys in the second year of Brownies. Instead of Brownie Quest I am arranging for the girls to go horseback riding and also changing the Girl Scout 100th Anniversary Celebration to a troop activity. The 100th Anniversary Celebration is on April 28th at Cal Expo. Please RSVP if you are interested in your daughter attending the Celebration and let me know if you can come along. Click here for more info:

At Wednesday's meeting we will continue earning our Meet my Customers patch in conjunction with cookie sales. Good news! We will be doing booth sales! Jackie was able to procure two awesome site sales for us. The first is on March 10th at noon at Safeway South and the second is on March 17th at noon at Nugget South. Both are Saturdays. We are so excited for the girls to practice their customer service skills. Who can resist a Brownie selling cookies? Please mark those dates on your calendars. Wednesday the girls will be making cards for Cesca's mom, Semra, using of all things, vegetables as stamps! Jackie, Laura has snack.

Between now and March we will be talking a lot about the history of Girl Scouts. The Picnic Day representative from the Davis Service unit has secured and finalized Girl Scout participation in the parade. Rain or shine the girls will be marching on April 21st. The Davis coordinator had a wonderful idea of having the girls dress in full or vintage uniforms. I've done some research on ebay and there are uniforms from various periods selling for $20 or less. I am watching a few. I also think having the girls in full uniform during cookie booth sales, during picnic day and at other official activities might be a great way to show Girl Scout pride and spirit. The full offical Brownie uniform looks like this:

The uniform includes a skort, top and tie, knee hi socks or tights. They can wear their vest over it, beanie optional ;)

If anyone is interested in purchasing the full uniform for the events, please let me know. I would love 100% participation but it's purely optional! I think it's a terrific way to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Girl Scouts, for as many girls as possible to be in full/vintage uniforms during the parade. The uniform will be good this year and next and they resell very well on ebay. The cost of the components of the modern uniform at the GS store is as follows: Tie $7, Shirt $18, beannie $7, skort $25 and socks $5 (tights are $4.75). All items go for much less when purchased on ebay. I am in the process of bidding on an early 80's uniform for Eliza {squeal!}
Last but not least just a reminder that our next field trip is on Monday, February 20th to Mrs. Grossman's Sticker Factory. It is a school holiday. It's definitely going to be a busy spring so please mark all the dates on your calendars. I will update the troop calendar on the blog accordingly. Thanks for your flexibility and understanding as we adapt to events and dates changing!

Whew, that was a lot of information. See you Wednesday!

No comments: